Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 30, 2012

CALLS AND TELEPHONE HANDLING



No ID cards were yet issued for our batch here in TRANSCOM and when I checked at the reception area in the fourth floor of the building I only get to see that only five of my co trainee's had been issued with an ID, the rest which includes me still have no  company I'd yet. The five co-trainee's of mine who had an ID was "Alan", "Dan" , "Jason", "Mark" and another one which I can't remember.

In other news

Most my co-trainees were terribly worried about our actual calls, "Mico" seems to be calm though she says that she will do her best on those calls , "Mcvin" was in Anxious and the same thing goes to "Gwen" and "Rose" , while me an "Jason" were not worried at all and was very calm probably because we knew that the QA is will not listening on this one and this is just some sort of Phone exercise.

At 11pm Norman (our trainer) told us to go to the 4th Floor production area to hear some live calls that agents are handling, We stayed there for about an hour and listened to the calls , Then after which we were ordered to go back to the "Palawan" training room to have our issued headsets given. 


There is nothing much to say about the head sets, Seriously and all I could comment is that the headset is somewhat not that as good and impressive as the "PLATRONICS" brand that I used way back in TELETECH Company.  For everyone's information the Headset brand , We were using is a "JABRA" brand.

A few minutes later after all of our headsets were given, Norman told us to go to the 5th floor production area (just right beside our training room) to our assigned stations and get our software tools ready. Minutes later we clicked in our "ready icon" on the soft phone and we were now "Live". I was expecting that there would be a flood of calls the moment I clicked the icon - To my surprise there was none and an hour pass not a single call came.

 Aside from getting bored waiting for a call , I was starting to feel that I need to take a piss and I left my station and headed towards Norman to ask permission to go to the toilet. To my dismay and horror , he told me to back to my station and said I cant go to the toilet - Son of a Bitch , Bastard !!! What the hell does he want me to do ? Piss on the computer ! - Fine if that's the case ! Hell ! The only reason why I approached him was only because of courtesy and I don’t want to sound disrespectful , but if that will be the case then Fuck courtesy ! Next time I wont ask permission anymore and will be going straight ahead to the toilet, its my fucking personal right to relieve myself on the toilet and piss there - otherwise I'd be pissing on the company computers. My fault on one part and I forgot to remember that we Filipino's are not that humanitarian towards fellow Filipino's.

One good thing of being furiously mad is that I get to have an extra strength to holding my piss.

For the whole four hours of taking calls I only got two calls , one is a customer who hang up after 30 second after getting the call and the other was something asking for enquiries about his broadband contract - and that’s about it.

After the phone exercise, we went back to the training room and was informed to open our online email clients and see the email. Upon opening it was a memo from our trainer reminding us that too many absences will leave us be removed from training (i.e. Fired) and that we have to "digitally" sign the said memo like a some sort of contract. When "DAN" read the email memo , he joking replied "This is more like selling your soul to the devil" , I could only giggle in his hilarious remark and quite frankly he's right. But it's ok and this isn't the first time that I signed unfair contracts.



Second day of taking in calls , but an hour or 30 minutes before we went to the 4th floor production area to barge in a few calls. Me, "Jason", "Mark", "Dustin" and a few others were talking and having a chat on what other call center companies out there would be at suitable in looking for a job. "Dustin" said that he's pretty much committed to getting a job here than anywhere else and said that he's already tired job searching , he added that he'd try to settle as long as he can here if in case things work out.

We discussed a few possible companies "Out there" like "AEGIS 24/7 people's support" (sounds more like a political party than a BPO company) but we all agreed that "AEGIS" pay its employee's too little like only 14K PHP compared here in TRANSCOM which amounts to 16K PHP basic. We also discussed an Australian account based company called "Acquire Asia" which supports DODO and perhaps Telstra  , but apparently from what "Gwen" claimed the work load there was tremendous - So tremendous that she resigned.

A few minutes later , Norman approached us in the 5th Floor cafeteria and told us to prepare and proceed to the 4th floor production area. So we went there and listened to call handling by other telephone operators , Classic stuff then after an hour we went back to the training room for a fifteen minute break then afterwards the usual drill in taking in calls at the fifth floor production area.

My station was seated next to "chard" and we keep asking each other questions when had trouble on callers. So far being a Customer service agent for billing is somewhat problematic for me on the big fact that "call flow" is non-linear which meant that there's no exact step by step call process and i have to think creatively on how to address the customers issue , which apparently takes time for me to *Think*, The only advantage I figured out for the customer service job category is that calls here are very short and fast paced ,lasting only for 5 minutes to 11 minutes tops.

For the actual call handling on this day , I never had any serious problems such as "bill explanation" or "I -Want-to-Talk-To-Your-Supervisor" calls - just had a few transfers , bill payments and general enquires  - nothing to get me distraught. Unfortunately though I handled calls with minimal problems , some of my co-trainee's were not that lucky, "Gwen" encountered a few piss off callers , "Erich" had trouble explaining bill charges to customers , "Rose" was generally ok with the calls, "Dustin" had been transferring callers in a "Cold transfer procedure" , "Mico" on the other hand was disconnecting calls every now and then for various reasons, "Mark" along with "Alan" are the luckiest and were not able to take in calls due to issue's with their log in passwords on the company server. In other words they just watch while we bleed on calls.

("Warm transfer " means that you have to make formal introduction on another telephone operator and informing the situation of the customer before passing it to the *other* operator , while in "Cold transfer" you simply dump and ditch the customer to the other telephone operator and let the operator handle the situation )

At 4am we went back the room for debriefing about our calls and at around 6 am, "Norman" gave an ice breaker . Apparently "Mico" was not in a good mood at that time and was pretty menstrual about being joked at, Resulting to "Mico" bad mouthing to "Norman" and making offensive comments like "This game sucks" and "I'm going to leave this room" . Everyone in the room didn't like how "Mico" was behaving and "Norman" just let "Mico" left the room without saying a word.

 I guess this was a pretty good example that the call center is open minded to all forms of opinion , be it either good or a bad one , It is respected without any backlash or harsh punishments - although some of the time it is taken advantage of. In the Maritime Industry , those things we take for granted at the call center are non existent and if it do exist - it is very limited. No personal freedom there and the right of open expression , If someone even dared to do that - there will be serious retaliation.

On the Next day….

I was so exhausted that I slept the whole day and ended up being waking at around 7pm, barely got 45 minutes to prepare for everything.  Upon arrival at TRANSCOM , I did my usual routine and saw "Dustin" waiting on the cafeteria , then after that I went to the fourth floor to log in to the internet station there and check my FB account then I return back to the fifth floor and saw that "jason" and "mark" are also there with "Dustin" , Soon afterwards some of my co-trainee's arrived one by one .

10 minutes before the Training class begin , "Rose" told me that the Company ID's have already been out at the reception desk - I hurriedly went there and "Rose" was right.

When the class began , All of us were surprised to see that "Norman" was not around and that "Jack" took over his class. Apparently "Norman" went to an unspecified emergency leave and "Jack" had to fill in for him for a day. Initially all of the class perceived her negatively , but later on things lighten up and she wasn't that bad at all . "Dan" even joked to "Jack" , About the meaning of NTE technical term saying that its called "Notice to Explain" instead of being "network terminal equipment" , Everybody laughed on that smart ass comment made by "DAN" .

In other matters…

"Alan" might not be coming back at all and perhaps has gone AWOL , its been three days that he went absent straight and there's little or no chance at all that he'd show up, However in other related matters  "CJ" showed up though he already used up his absences , it seems that he's back in the game or perhaps he's just showing up to get his salary first before going "AWOL".

In other matters also …..

Everyone is expecting and anxious about our salary which also includes me. As a matter of fact "Badong" , "Jason" and "mark" are coming early at TRANSCOM just to get their ATM's from payroll Department.  According to "Rene" the COMPENBIN office is open at least 12 midnight , though she is not sure about the office hours of payroll department.