Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

BRIDGING THE GAP


After a week of delays , I had now finally got back again to get some action and packed up all my gear for another session of paper works and find out what happened on where I left off. My agenda's are

1.Find out what happened on my 2nd medical which I took on the 19th of April.
2.Get the medical clinic to fill out the Physical Medical form which to be used for the marshal island SIRB
3.Finish the application for the Marshal Island SIRB at the License counter of Career
4.Signup the contract for the Ship Cape Tallin.

First off I visited Maritime medical clinic again located in UN Ave Malate , and got to found out what the hell happened to my second medical which I took last April 19. When I got there I went immediately to the second floor to the Registration building to inquire. The receptionist said that I should go first back again on the laboratory and that my status is still pending. What the hell ?!! Pending ?! I immediately went to the laboratory department to sort out this issue and what I found out was that all it needs was just a simple signature coming from the laboratory med tech and it will all be over. Geez ! Are those pencil pusher really that lazy ? , I mean come on guys ! All it needs is a simple wave from their stupid hand  and I'd be on my way, and all this time my medical papers was all in pending status because of that ??.  Anyway I'm glad I got to sort it out and went back to the clinic to check what's going on. After a small effort I made , I went back again on the registration and the receptionist told me that the certificate will be forwarded to my respective agency. I did also took the time to give them the medical physical exam form for my marshal island SIRB, The receptionist took it and said that the form will be forwarded to the company also. First and Second objective

I took the train afterwards and dropped off to EDSA station, same drill as usual.

At around 11 am, I was with career office to pass my application form for the Marshal Islands Seaman's Book. "NIDA" thoroughly checked my application form and my photocopied documents, Initially my application form was turned down because the typewritten entries I made was full of mistakes and had to redo everything, including the ID pictures I submitted. "Nida" said that the ID pictures I submitted were passport size and not the 1.75 x 1.75 measurement. In other words I wasted money in taking ID pictures on the wrong size. Luckily "Nida" gave me a hint that the house just outside Career shipping does typewriting jobs on filling out the application form , aside from having  a small photo studio for taking ID pictures. "Nida" handed me a spare application form again. Immediately I went to the said house were "Nida" pointed and there it was, The old granny inside the house told me to wait for 20 minutes to have the application form properly filled out via typewritten format and while I was waiting I could go to the photo studio for the ID pictures.

In a matter of a few minutes , both my application from and my ID pictures were taken care of. However it cost me my 150 PHP on my wallet as a downside, leaving me down to around 130 PHP on my wallet. At about 2pm I passed my application form to the license counter along with the photocopies and everything went fine, "Nida" asked were the hell is my medical physical examination form, I replied that according to the receptionist on the medical clinic , the form will be forwarded along with my medical results.

After sorting out thing on the License counter at career , I then proceeded next to the "processing counter" on "reggie's" booth to sign up for the contract. Reggie handed me out a couple of forms to sign up with and mentioned that the principal Columbia Ship management is a member of this so called AMOSUP organization. From what I read on one of the papers there is this so called a CBA form included also. After a few minutes I gave back the forms to Reggie, and she typed something on the computer, I took a peek and saw that I'm going to travel on a group. From what I saw at the computer there's a 2nd mate, BOSUN, 2 AB's, an OS (its me), a Deck fitter, a Chief cook and a Mess man. So basically there's 8 of us going in for the ride. Another thing that I saw on the computer screen was there's no tentative date yet on which we will be deployed. Its favorable on my end on the fact that I'm having shortages in funds and that the cost of expenditures is quite high and It could buy me sometime to get more money.

Documentary Requirements to get a Marshal Islands Seaman's book


 TIPS AND USEFUL INFORMATION

AMOSUP Dormitory

AMOSUP - Basically stands for Associated Marine Officers and Seafarers Union of the Philippines. The largest "organized" sailor's organization here. Its main office and headquarters lies deep within inside the walled compound of Intramuros, Manila. According to what they say on their papers they have a maritime school of their own (MAAP respectively) , a so called "slop chest" which is basically is a super mart for sailors, its own hospital (Inside the intramuros) , Its own training center , and its very own training ship. Aside from their facilities they also have some sort of insurance and retirement fund called "provident fund" for aging sailors and even a housing loan and "sailors village" , Heck they also even have a dormitory for sailors But seriously I'm not exactly sure on how effective this organization is and how will it help me on the long run. All I know is that some of their policy claims are not that good as like to those of social security, Government health care and housing. Click here for their website for more info

 TESDA - Technical Skills and Development Authority, From what I know this is a government education agency that handles training to vocational courses however their Primary (and only) role here in the maritime profession is the issuance of a C.O.C. certificate. Main office by the way is located somewhere in taguig,

Actual Marshal Island SIRB
Marshal Island's Seaman's Book - This is a seaman's book , plain and simple and it functions just the same as our Philippine Seaman's book, but hey almost every other nation in the world has its own variant counterpart seaman's book right ?! The only difference I could think of from our Philippine Seaman's Book is that Marshal Islands Seaman's book is a lot easier to get and a lot less documents needed compared to our very own Seaman's Book. By the way the only reason you have to get a Marshal Island's Seaman's book is that if your working on a ship that is flagged on Marshal Islands.

LIFE ON THE JOB HUNT AND GEAR USED

A School Backpack , one of the universal gear used by filipino sailors to hide their album sized documents 
Fashion Style as a sailor isn't really that much of an importance, for some reason sailors dress simple - way too simple. I myself don’t dress fashionable whenever I go to the shipping office. I just dress on my travel clothes and that’s about it, The only exception where I dress well is whenever I'm going to speak in front of the superintendent. The Gear I wore isn't fashionable probably because its designed for protection. Every sailor (or perhaps even a student sailor) carries some sort of multi-pocket, multi-compartment  backpack or bag to store his / her documents and inside it a sailor carries a Filofax kind of some sort , or a document holder to store those paper documents. The Bag and the document holder is the universal gear a sailor will carry for the rest of his life as a sailor, I haven't saw one sailor yet that doesn’t carry those two gear s I mentioned. I myself carry those two gear as well.

An Example of a Filo Fax Document folder used by Filipino Sailors