Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

Weather is not improving at all - in fact it's getting worse as this ship approaches New Orleans area in the United States. It's not surprising though, since summer season is at it's height on the north Atlantic region and core temperatures are quiet hot , as a matter of fact the temperatures here are similar to tropical countries (like the Philippines) for now and getting hotter (or even hotter) . In relation to work, its very difficult to work on a hot weather and I had to bring at least a canister of water with me every time I go out , as this ship lacks sufficient fresh water outlets to keep myself cool.



Last Saturday July 20th 2013, the whole crew was busy preparing for a grill party. First work we did was hauling off from the steering gear room the barbecue equipment stowed there, and the next thing we did was wash off the whole deck area on the accommodation with sea water. Then haul off the tables from gymnasium (ships gym) to the starboard side. We had trouble putting the canvass that will serve as a small shade probably because of the windy weather during that time.



Next after setting up the tables and cleaning the place, we lit the barbecue grill and burned a few wood pieces from wooden pallets at the aft part of the ship. I along with A.B. "Patrick" and A.B. "Mallorca" was temporary on watch of the fire, until we were later replaced by A.B. "Bryan" since there will be a drill at 1pm.



The fire drill was quiet short and I do know now my assigned task here when ever there will be a fire drill (or actual fire). My task was simply shut all the ventilation vents on the port side of this ship, get and bring the fire extinguisher on the site of the fire and go to the pump man and await further instructions, very simple right ?! On the lifeboat drill (abandon ship drill) my task was on the aft painter (rope) of the life boat then after the drill I have to tighten the wire on the forward part of the life boat to properly secure it in its place.



After the drill the grill barbecue started and as usual the whole grill was busy on the grill , Me and A.B. was busy rolling the whole pig to be roasted on the grill, O.S. Hall and the new oiler , along with new engine fitter was busy on the barbecue sticks being roasted. The new engine fitter took some time to take pictures and had mess man Ferdinand Penera carry the camera and A.B. "Patrick" took pictures , Unfortunately Captain Igors Slabada saw the picture taking and called "Patrick" and "Ferdinand" to the bridge and ordered that the pictures would be deleted. Some of the crew was dismayed on the captains action namely BOSUN AMICAN and the new engine fitter about the pictures being deleted. During dinner time their dismay was very obvious that the new engine fitter shouted to the russians the tagalog word "PUTANG INA NYO" (translated in english "you mother fuckers") . Of course the Russians never understood that word since their not familiar at tagalog at all.



After the dinner, I quietly slipped away from everybody's sight and returned to my cabin since I wasn't feeling well and was having an asthma attack (probably an allergy on the orange flavored soft drink like fanta which I drank during dinner time). I slept for at least 2 hours then , I was awoken by A.B. Homer Mallorca banging the door , when I opened he said that my presence is required the grill party. I replied I wont come, and Homer went away , A few minutes later Homer Banged the door again and I replied the same thing. Honestly I had to my reasons why I shouldn't join , one is that I had mentioned earlier I was having an asthma attack and haven't been fully recovered yet ( I forgot to bring my medications onboard and left it in the Philippines) , Second is personal reasons that I don't like drinking alongside with people I dislike (hint its the person I mention on my previous entry "belly of the beast") , I think its pure hypocrisy to drink with the people who think they are more *superior* and keep pushing around people. For me I don't talk to these kinds of people and don't make friends with them (and never will)



The following morning,



When I went to my cabin door , I saw a small note saying that I should clean the mess from the grill party yesterday and there's even a Foot note saying "BOSUN'S ORDERS" (see what I mean). That's fine with me that id clean up the mess , I'd be better off doing that, I immediately went to cleaning the place as early as 5 am (4:30 am). Putting the benches back and removing the covers for the tables wasn't that hard , unfortunately I did had a problem on the one table as I did not realized it was that heavy. Good thing A.B. Homer Mallorca was already awake at that early time and saw me dragging the said table, he helped me out on the rest of the stuff putting it back into place as well as putting back also the barbecue grill equipment back on the steering gear. We were finished on the work as early as 9am.



It's a good thing that it was rest day (Sunday) and I spent my time washing off clothes and fixing my working equipment, washing the scavenged gloves I saw on deck , as well as go to the gym. On the late evening I was fortunately that Mess man Ferdinand gave me a hair cut - it not that fancy but its more like a trim and I'm very happy that I got a haircut since having a long hair on a hot weather outside is not a very good idea. I asked Ferdinand on where did he learn the skill in cutting hair ( be a barber) he said he learned it when he was working on a passenger ship a few years back.