Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

EXONERATION

Cape Tallin , Position : In the North Atlantic enroute to U.S.A. E.T.A. July 28 2013



After sometime that he was suspected that he used the IMMARSAT phone , it was finally revealed that A.B. "Patrick" did not used it at all. He's innocent - it was Mess man Ferdinand Penera who used it. Captain Igors Slabada verified the number that registered to the IMMARSAT to Career Ship management and Captain Galang ( Career Superintendent ) said that the number was from our Mess man. I'm not sure what will be the repercussions for mess man Ferdinand on using the IMMARSAT phone - it could cost him he's promotion for O.S. ( Ordinary Seaman) , or a bad report to the shipping office. What ever , It doesn't really matter anyway . The main point was A.B. Dondonilla was exonerated from the accusations, showing he's innocent - that the accusations are purely vengeance and jealousy related.



A real sense of justice for him knowing that "Patrick" was right and them wrong.



In other news related to work onboard



Soon after we left , we were immediately put off on deck work cleaning. On my part BOSUN AMICAN gave me a job cleaning the forward part of the ship ,removing bird dropping as the sea gulls from Amsterdam littered the place with their poop. Cleaning the forward part wasn't an easy job having only a deck brush in hand , I was with the new A.B. cleaning the said area until around 10 am.



Later in the day, A.B. "Patrick" volunteered to teach me Gym and body building lesson, I hesitant at first but I figured I got all the time to spare here onboard and that he has a point, I do need it in the sense that I could lift and carry objects and to maximize my abilities as much as possible. I agreed and said that the gym lessons will start this Saturday.



Saturday July 13, 2013.



Since this is Saturday - its only half day work, Based on what I learned from the new A.B. and the new Pump Man , Some ships here in Career Ship Management don't have Saturdays and Sundays off and that Cape Tallin is a blessing considering that Saturdays is just only half day work and Sunday to be rest day. Having no rest day onboard means that everyday is work day , Oh my ! I guess that's a total nightmare if I'd be put on that kind of ship and I think its worse. Sometimes I do think having a full crew of Filipino's is way better than a mixed nationality , on the sense that there is a rest day and that the only problem I could see is that Filipino's have a nasty habit. As bad as Filipino's could be - some nationalities are even far off worse, but then again I'm not staying long here in career - as a matter of fact I'm just hanging out to make a solid foundation on my sailing job.



On the morning work, I had my hands full in transferring the mooring wire from the aft part of the ship to the forward part of the ship. It wasn't an easy task as we had to use the port winch in dragging it and later manually lifting it with our bare hands and dragging it to the BOSUN'S Store. My back hurts like crap there in lifting the wires.



Before the drill, I asked "Patrick" for professional advise in regards to using my stored equipment, He gave me an advised that it would be best if I use those said equipment after he disembarks on the ship and that it might brought jealousy around the people on board if I use it now. For the moment he said , there is a huge possibility that it will happen. I took his advised and will waited until "Patrick" and some of the crew disembarks on next port.



Late in the afternoon, We went on to a drill - actually its more like a shipboard familiarization to the five new crew members. As usual they (including us the old crew) were debriefed and was showed around on the safe emergency equipment onboard. The new Chief mate showed us the emergency Foam generator and generator room, as well as the CO2 room (Carbon Dioxide Room ) which its primary function is that if ever the fire gets out of control (something close to a firestorm) the last resort would be gassing out the fire and deprive it with oxygen. Last part of the Familiarization was the lifeboat operation , which 3rd mate Corales demonstrated on us on how to operate the life boat and launch it . Good thing I brought along my spy cam for the "field trip" and took videos on the familiarization drill, unfortunately for me when I check it out on my computer the aim of the spy cam is only on the body of a person and not on what I'm looking at , oh well maybe the next familiarization drill I'd fare better in getting some secret video's



In the evening I had decided to start taking Gym / weight lifting lessons from "Patrick" , after all he has a point that since being a sailor is more related to a manual / construction job , it would be best that I get some "Power" and "Strength" on my bone and muscles. After all I don't get to use my brain here and its more "Muscle" rather than thinking. On the Gym Weight lifting lesson , My performance was horrible and that I could only lift a barbell for only six repetitions out of 12 and one set of exercise out of three . Aside from that after the said gym lesson , my whole upper body (Chest and arm area) was very heavy .



"Patrick" says that its normal to be horrible at first , as time goes by my performance and strength will improve, Just patiently do my Gym every other day and Improvement will arise on the latter.



Sunday July 14, 2013



Thank God its rest day and In some ways I feel thankful that there is a rest day here on this ship. According to what I heard correctly from A.B. Mallorca, the "new" A.B. and from the "new" pump man, Some ships in CSM don't have one.



For the moment, I had already collected enough dirty gloves and decided to wash them since working gloves here on this ship are hard to come by. My washing procedure is to wipe the dirty glove (or coveralls) with anti-grease gel detergent called "Gresol jelly hand cleanser" , then put a small part of a bar of soap called "ZOTE" and if possible add a few amounts of a typical laundry detergents (just directly put these in the washing machine - don't wipe) , and wash it in a washing machine of 60 degree's Celsius of water . The results were staggering and after washing ,it showed that the grease marks and stains were permanently removed and that the gloves looked like almost brand new.



Before I discovered "Gresol" I was having difficulty removing grease stains on coveralls and Gloves as normal laundry detergents, bleach and even a standard liquid based detergent called "Tee-pol" is in effective in removing grease. I discovered it by accident when I washed my hands with Greasol , as the part of my grease riddled coveralls that was exposed to greasol showed cleared "Spots" indicating that even grease stain marks were removed. On the latter I decided to experiment and covered my grease riddled coveralls whole with Greasol and put it in a washing machine, The results went more than I hoped for and I don't have to worry about grease stains or marks ever again. Absolutely "Gre-Sol" is the wonder detergent to us against grease here on the product tanker. Unfortunately all wonders have limitation as Gresol is not intently used to wash for Coveralls and gloves (its is used meant to be used in bare naked hands only) and this ship has only a limited supply of it - as in only a box and I already used half of it by now.

Thank god there is "GRESOL" not only washes dirty oily hands but removes tough oil stains on clothes



Going back to what I did this Sunday…..



I ordered on the bond store for this day , 6 cases of mineral water, 1 case of Coca Cola soft drink and 6 PCS of TOBLERONE chocolate bars. 6 cases of water seems to be a bit exaggerated but here onboard Cape Tallin , Water is essential - as water here does not come for free for some reason and it is bought from the bond store. Good thing that I'm no longer constrained on the financial limitations of a "Deck Cadet" as my position now is "Ordinary Seaman" , and I have a bigger purchasing power compared to my earlier (disastrous) days in sailing. Good thing water comes very cheap here and I don't have to worry much about it.



"Patrick" delivered those stuff on my Cabin and we had a conversation, well he's just asking an advice on whether or not he'd repaired the Play station 3 console for his kid. I gave him an advise that it depends on him since I myself don't know about parenting and don't have kids. I said he could do a trial and error system and check out which one is best suited for his kid - I added that having a Play station 3 for his kid didn't worked out well and ended up his kid having trouble adapting socially to other people, why not try not having a Play station 3 gaming console around and see if his kid will be adapt more socially to other people - if It doesn't work out then go back to having a play station 3 around.



The rest of the day I was busy doing other stuff and repairing my working equipment. I was planning if I could put now pouch knee pads on my coveralls just like the one's I saw on Mr. Ards Jekabsons coveralls, which gave me a bright idea about it. Maybe I'd install it later , but I'd definitely put those idea's on my coveralls later on.