Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

VISITING THE GLADES

JULY 10, 2015




Couple of days after Venezuela, we were again doing basically the same old usual maintenance work. Mostly were just washing the deck area, removing rust stains using a rust remover chemical on the ship chimney, segregating trash on the garbage room and literary scooping up dirt and throwing it overboard.

This ship arrived in Florida USA, at July 10, 2015 noon time and we dropped anchor, during the dropping of anchor job, we encountered a minor problem on the "drop" which apparently the chains got stuck and wouldn't go any further after a shackle and a half was lowered. BOSUN Diosana tried to use a sledge hammer to smash and kick start the chain but it was unresponsive. (do not try this method - its ill-advised) , so in the end we received an order from Captain Waldemar Romaniuk that we should lower the anchor by gear. The whole process of lowering it was very slow and took us about 15 to 20 more minutes to lower 7 shackles in the water.

During Noon time , everyone on deck was wondering on what job order to do and since Chief mate Oleg never gave any more job orders for this day , we were basically just wandering off on the whole deck area trying to search and look for ways just to make us look busy, we could try doing the never ending looping sort of jobs in deck (like chipping , polishing and painting rusted area's and the like) but we hesitated doing such jobs because berthing schedules notices in the U.S.A. is terribly unpredictable. So in the end I and O.S. Joash ended up cleaning our own cabins instead of doing something on deck (due to lack of job orders) . Aside from cleaning our cabins , I tried doing a side work in cleaning my tools by immersing it on rust remover chemical .

After working hours , since this ship is at anchorage. I saw Fitter Lorenzo and Pumpman Sepulveda fishing on the port side and took a picture of their catch. Suddenly fitter lorenzo suggested that I should help him out on his next catch , It didn’t took long for him to catch another one and I helped by simple holding the  fish after he reeled it removed the bait from its mouth. Up close I knew thought that this kind of fish had teeth.

At around 10 Pm I was surprised to hear over the cabin phone that berthing operation will now resume and immediately we heaved up anchor and proceed to berth .


Sleep deprivation is getting to be a problem , especially now that I'm caught ill prepared on the sudden docking schedule. It's not that serious but being unable to concentrate on my work and being "delirium" does have some nasty effects. Most people here observe every inch of my move like a god damn surveillance camera.  Anyway serves me right in playing too much PC videogames, "elder scrolls : SKYRIM "  really took much attention in accomplishing some fantasy quest there.

Since this is a U.S. port , Apparently I'm not allowed to use my mask as an headdress given with this so called ISPS security standards (or marsec standards) , it’s a bummer on my part given that I use it to cover my long hair and as a face protection itself. Well I guess it was a complication I have to deal with being in american soil.

During my gangway watch , I was surprised to learned from A.B. "lydon" that he had found a free Wi-Fi spot near the aft area and aside from the good news , the Wi-Fi hotspot is definitely free - like an oasis in the middle of a waste land. It never occurred to me that "Lyndon" could discover a hotspot in this area, I took the opportunity to update all my software's on my cell phone. It didn't took me long to do it.

For the moment port everglades in Florida , isn't much to look at because of the strict security and the weather here is terrible, from my estimate the temperatures here rose as high as 37 degree's during high noon. Provisioning (resupply) took place on noon time as well as garbage disposal. One thing I had noticed on garbage disposal here in this pier is some sort of weird penalty on which a trash shouldn't hit or land on the soil (either accidental or intentional) , if it does the ship will be fined 3,000 U.S. Dollars for it. I'm not sure if the garbage man is making these up or just avoiding his work but apparently this is what happened during garbage disposal and that we had to tie one end of the rope from the ship to his garbage truck , and sort of "zip line" to deliver the trash

In other news I took advantage of the free time to go on shore leave, but as what is expected its very limited and restricted. Security in port is tight and we can wander off on any shopping area's were we wanted to like walmart or best buy, Its just stuck on some small store called seaman centre in florida and that's about it. Even their electronic store in seaman's club doesn’t look much and their the gadgets shown there is somewhat outdated