Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 19, 2015

LIFE UNDER A TYRANT

April 09, 2015 Thursday

Life under a tyrant dictator can all be but challenging, On a ship ratings and officers are at the mercy of a depriving captain who fancies himself as god. Seriously these are one of the reasons why I encourage Filipino's not to take a job as a sailor or study a college course called B.S.M.T. (bachelor of science in marine transportation). Incoming college students and High school students are too damn good to deserve this rotten kind of life, and I feel sorry for them to condemn themselves on this life of hardship.

A lot of people wonder on what kind of society sailors live on-board a ship, like I said I can only summarize it that it's an autocratic dictatorship and nothing more, some ships have a benign dictatorship but nevertheless ITS STILL AN AUTOCRATIC form of society with no room for any form democratic kind of system. A person taking this course is basically condemning himself / herself on a life of coveralls and closed spaced dwelling and strip all individual freedom normally a society will offer. Basically sailors nowadays are just prisoners with a salary and more like a feeling that you're going into jail, trading off and sacrificing years of life and freedom for money. 

On a ship, there are all sorts of evil and wicked people out here, Filipino's and foreign nationals alike. If a worker is assigned on a unfortunate ship who has a kind of captain that violates basic human right and civil liberties, he is in one hell of a ride. It's unfortunate that on my situation here the captain here is very depriving on one of the most basic human necessities known to man - WATER.

Can you believe that !? Water, For now based on the information I heard. Captain Sorin Sageta is one depriving bastard and even the laundry is not spared at all on his wrath and this corroborates testaments said by Messman Montaya in Conti Greenland few months ago that "Sorin" has a laundry schedule of twice per week (or none at all if there's a work operation at port) and as a result laundry is piling up not because the crew here are lazy to wash to them but because the laundry room is locked up. According to my co-workers and from what I'm observing first hand, laundry room hasn't been opened for a more than a week ( up to now while writing this) and some of them are forced to wash their clothes by hand inside their cabins. Worst is that it's not only the laundry that suffers the most , even clean drinkable bottled water is restricted to the crew.

It is only my conclusion that the remaining three months with him around will be filled with nothing more than pure torture and suffering. For now potable and clean water is scare on this ship despite the availability, and I bet this is just only the beginning for the four month long tyrannical rule of "Sorin" on this ship and more out of this world hardship will come in the days ahead. I have no idea why this captain impose this kind of restrictions on laundry given that there's water all around the ship, and I had been into a CONTI NSB type of ship previously and the structure of these kinds of ship has sufficient volume of water enough not to impose this water restriction. Anyway it's only a conclusion that the logical answer is that this current ship captain is a neurotic one who has succumb to mental disease. A social degenerate to simply say. 

One of my co-workers here say that this captain was not as ruthless as before and that he changed on a lesser extent of being wicked after having a heart attack, Honestly I beg to disagree on his impression because I have a saying "ONCE A BASTARD WILL ALWAYS BE A BASTARD" . On my perception my co-worker only says that Captain Sorin is less vicious because of the fact that he has only been around on this ship a month and that he's wickedness hasn't reach full blast yet, and my rough estimate is that it will take another month to reach its full height.

Good thing despite this challenges, my ingenuity is a bit advance for an average sailor and giving me an edge that despite this so called unnecessary water discipline, I can still wash my clothes and coveralls without ever using the laundry room. Unknown to them I brought along laundry soaps on my luggage for the journey plus a laundry brush to wash my clothes, So basically my supplies could last up at least 3 months based on the soap I'm carrying. Aside from that I'm already experienced in handling this situation given that I had already encountered this kind of situation in "CAPE TALLIN" ship a few years ago.

Aside from having problems with the water , All of a sudden Sundays off work was cancelled and we were doing basically the usual maintenance work. The captain reasoned out why Sundays work off was cancelled was because of the fact that this ship will be undergoing some sort of internal audit from NSB and probably were expecting guest when this ship arrives in Netherlands , so this "ship" has basically have to prepare for the inspections. 

NEWS UPDATE

After two weeks (and a month on the other crew) , the laundry room has finally opened up hallelujah ! I was already in the brink of washing my clothes and coveralls using the method I devised back in CAPE TALLIN ages ago.