Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

ALWAYS LIKE THIS


JOURNAL ENTRY : August 15, 2016 Monday
Location : Enroute to Malaysia
 
 
There has been a sudden change of schedule, Originally this ship was supposedly meant to be in the Chinese dry docks for ship repair. Now new news came in that China will be scrubbed out and the new location for ship repairs will be in Singapore.
 
Now here's more of the problem, being in Singapore for ship repairs is a hassle compared to china and the latest news also suggested that the crew here have to enter and clean up black oil residues inside the cargo tanks before dry dock, hinting that the next set of job will be messy and coverall wasting. If so this will be the case then good luck if some of us have enough coveralls left and industrial soap to use for the work,
 
Another thing that I had to worry about is the permanent tropical hot weather in Singapore, Although this is not blazingly hot compare to UAE Fujairah area and the weather here is almost identical to the Philippines (probably around 30 degrees celcius or so on average temperature), it does not mean that its comfortable working outside. Probably I have to bring out my water canteen yet again and use every available "anti-heat" techniques I have at the moment. It's also obviously that I have to wear my safety helmet all the times again because superintendents will be visiting this ship very often from here on till it gets out of Singapore area
 
Anyway its always like this in the whole Asia Pacific area , the weather will be permanently warm till the next ice age, and this is one of the primary reasons why I hate being here in the pacific. If I'm correct the weather will be very warm all the way till japan area up until September to October.
 
Being in Singapore for ship repairs is more problematic than having ship repairs in china, as it meant more work for the crew. We don’t mind the work but the thing is that salaries here will not change and will remain fixed.
 
Some of Co-workers here are hopeful that some sort of "extra" pay will be made available about this "tank cleaning" work, but I don’t want to get they're hope's up on this one because this principal cant compensate us on our "overtime" rate pay in the first place, - if they can't pay us properly on our regular salaries, then let alone the "extra pay" for the tank cleaning work. Seriously I think Norstar will not even bother to pay us at all here, and judging from what I'm looking , they eventually will. Shame that my co-workers here have already been around longer than I had been as a sailor and yet they are dense enough and still don’t know exactly the reality of what's going to happen. Anyway I just keep my mouth shut about this and let them figured it all out,  As for me I'm not enthusiastic nor even optimistic about what will happen on the next few days, the only thing I care about is get the fuck out of here as soon as possible, hopefully at least by December or January .
 
In other news
 
By around late afternoon, I was told by the Chief mate to tell the other five riding crew that they should go to the bridge at 6pm. I have no idea why they are being called by I bet my bottom dollar that it has something to do about their contracts and related to their stay here on this ship.