Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

HOT AS HELL


ENTRY DATE : July 29, 2016 Thursday
Location: Fujirah Anchorage area , UAE
 
 
Life is getting difficult here by the day and the latest of my troubles here is one of the most basic things here on planet earth, - WATER, fresh clean water. Since that this ship has already arrived in fujirah UAE, The temperatures here skyrocketed to blow torching proportions as predicted. Hot temperature means crew get to consume more water, Unfortunately availability of water here is scarce to the point that everybody awaits the purifier for water (take not PURIFIER, bottled mineral water is scarce) and that purifier cant supply water to all 27 people here onboard, so it's obviously someone here is bound to be thirsty or dehydrated soon if this continues.
 
Actually the main problem here is the extreme temperature of Fujirah which is very hot. To complicate things air-conditioning systems of this ship is very poor according to oiler Lester Suarez and has something to do about the compressors age and sadly all the areas in this ship have no air-condition as of the moment. Again another first on my sailing career that it’s the first time I encountered a ship that has no decent air-conditioning.
 
Recently my friend Oiler Allan Sta. Maria disembarked all of a suddenly early in the morning. Unexpectedly he received a notice informing him that he will be disembarking within an hour, Not even enough time to say goodbye. Anyway at least he's now relieved of the troubles being here and it will be easier for him if it will be that way, besides who would want to stay here on this cursed ship anyway ? A lot of people here thought that Oiler Allan didn’t had in him to resign on this ship and when he did - it was a slap on their faces. He has a lot of valid reasons why he had to resign and it's no secret or surprise that conditions here in this ship is terrible. Oiler Allan was my friend and the only one whom I talk to without any hypocrisy added , as in total honest talk around here. The rest of the people I talk here are just for plain professional reasons, not the kind of stuff that friends really talk about,. 
 
Later in the morning, It was also a surprise that a safety meeting began on the bridge. Not exactly a "safety meeting" but more of like a grievance meeting. It was discussed there that from the words of another superintendent that some supply would be headed this way , and assured us (for now I hold my judgement on this matter and "to see is to believe"). Another thing that was discussed was the "Cash Advance" matter which didn't end up well, and made our dick head Myanmar captain lash out in front of everyone that he wasn't interested in giving salaries of the crew. So basically what happened there was that all that talk he was saying or two months now about cash advance and shore leave was plain horseshit , It only showed his true colours that he was never interested at all from the start to give our salaries. Thankfully the superintendent despite being indian (or probably because he's indian and indian officers are involve as well) that he decided to scold the Myanmar captain to give "cash advances" (salaries) to the crew.
 
An hour later, We had received an announcement that ship will be berthing in fujirah, immediately this ship heaved up anchor and prepared the pilot ladder., To date this is the most difficult task I encountered because of the heat and hot weather I encountered . I'm not so sure of the exact temperature but if I recall correct its somewhere about 40 plus degree's Celsius enough for me to wet my coveralls and wore it wet just to keep cool. It helped a lot to keep my body temperature to be lower enough for me to work without any problems. As expected most of my crew mates, were exhausted on the heat and were soaking wet with sweat. One of the worst berthing operations work I made on my whole career.