Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

LIFE IN FUJIARAH



ENTRY DATE: August 07, 2016 Sunday
Location : Fujirah Oil Tanker Terminal berth 6, UAE
 
Staying in fujirah for a week was difficult, Aside from the temperature scorching temperature of 48 degrees Celsius. I had problems as well on early counter measures in combating the heated environment.
 
Earlier my primary measure in cooling myself was to wet and wore my coveralls, But lately it seems that this countermeasure was not effective in the long run and as a result, skin rashes have been instantly appearing on almost every part of my body and the most rashes I got for now is on my legs. Probably I surmise that prolonged exposure to water and moisture (from my clothes) causes some sort of bacterial skin infection which in turn causes rashes. As a result to this unfortunate side effect from my early tactics, I took in a few antibiotics and stayed away from wetting my coveralls for a while. Despite the setback , it pushed and discovered another counter measure to combat the heat - the "dry method".
 
Basically this new method is more simpler and is generally more acceptable to my crewmates than my first method, however despite its simplicity it too has its limitations - and I shall explain later. First off the "dry method" I had discovered is nothing more than just getting fresh cooler air and this time the source is the pneumatic pipes that is so common on every ships piping system. Basically its just as simple as open a pneumatic socket and put the inside your coverall sleeves and open it then adjust the air pressure , letting the cool air coming out on the pneumatic pipe to circulate throughout inside the coveralls thus cooling the whole entire body without the risk of rashes and infection. Despite the innovation, it has limitations and the most noticeable is the range. Meaning you can only operate within the area near the air pipes, the range can be extended if there's an air hose around but the range is still limited and there's a chance it might get snagged while moving around.
 
The third method revolves around a combination of my first and second method , however I haven't tested it fully and only the first and second method have been tested. Anyway aside from that this ship is also plagued with a problem , the most simple and yet the most important of all - clean drinking water. Apparently this ship's so called water purifier is overworked and cannot support the water needs of 27 crew members, so in the end - most of the time this ship doesn’t churn out fresh drinking water , leading to speculation that if this stay in UAE will be longer , the whole crew will have dehydration problems later on. To complicate matters our lovely Myanmar captain is such a dick and refused to give the crew extra water rations , resulting that most of the crew had to buy supplies on shore and nearby duty free shops. I myself bought some extra supplies to keep myself away from dehydration / starvation problem.
 
Thank god that the visiting indian superintendent , kicked his Myanmar butt earlier when he refused to give us our salaries. Now that we have some money , it would have not been possible at all and basically I could be dealing serious problems aside from the problematic weather here.
 
During the shore leave , I discovered one thing useful. Previously I thought that having a BDO dollar debit card was useless, well turns out that this dollar debit card was not useless at all as earlier I thought it was and in fact CAN BE USED IN STORES THAT ACCEPT VISA / MASTER CARD. To simply put I can use it for shopping , as in cashless transactions. Thank god and I'm relieved that this piece of plastic card is not only a decoration to my wallet and could be used to shop some stuff off on duty free stores.
 
I wonder if I can use this to purchase stuff on the airport ?
 
In any case . I bought some badly needed supplies around for me, Some chocolates , Gatorade (as anti-dehydration) along with shower gel soap and of course the most important of all was internet sim card and top up load. I also bought a few non-essential stuff (actually low priority stuff) to upgrade my existing working equipment, some of these are a new Stanley multi tool pliers, a new "wenger" tumbler, a multi socket electric travel adaptor and a brand new binoculars (which replaces my obsolete CDR-king one).
 
Some of my crew members also bought in essentials like water, Gatorade, shampoo etc. toiletries that are missing here on the ship (and there is no bond store), Given that our pitiful myanmar captain doesn't bother considering crew welfare. Shame that some of my crew members have to result in buying their own necessities out of their own pockets to get things around, NECESSITIES that Norstar ship Principal and its Captain should have provided in the first place and according to MLC .   
 
Anyway this discovery on visa debit usage opens up an opportunity , in a way that it means that I can order stuff not only on shops that have VISA / MASTER CARD - but also order stuff online as well. To make it simple I don’t have to wait for a long time to get imported stuff or wait that any ship I will be assigned with goes to Europe or America, Now I just simply look for the online order like ebay or stuff like that and search the item I want there and presto ! . 
 
In relation to my recent shore leave. Bosun Hector Rodrigo borrowed some cash from me via debit card to buy a computer, well actually half on the actual money and the other half was debit card. Well I don’t mind lending a hand anyway to some of my crewmates and besides they're not a threat at all here, So lending them some cash is no big deal for me - as long as they pay up before I leave this place. Actually I was going to use the money to buy a new tablet office computer for my sister, but it ended up the money being borrowed first before I could actually buy anything at all.
 
As for the work related news
 
Given that this ship is already 20 years old by now, its now surprise that during loading operations a lot of piping systems has been having problems and literary leaking on its connections , one such example is the hydraulic system which one of its pipes had a huge leak near the manifold area. The leak was so huge that small buckets would quickly be filled up with hydraulic oil  and we had to use a full human size SOPEP drum to contain the leak. Aside from the hydraulic leak, Pneumatic pipes have been leaking as well and on one occasion the pneumatic pipe used to heave and slack the gangway on the starboard side burst leaving the gangway stuck for the time being until deck fitter Amiel lorzano fixes the problem.
 
It's amazing that this ship still passes vetting inspection despite being a floating rust bucket. I mean - everything is falling apart here and the only thing keeping it from being totally scrapped is because of its Filipino crew efforts in maintenance (which is not being treated fairly and being discriminated by these Myanmar whore captain). Probably i suspect that the only reason this ship passed is because the vetting inspector was Indian and they somehow bribed it.
 
Anyway lastly during the unmooring operations I made a few mistakes because of the confusion this cocky Indian third mate was yelling at me to do this and that which result in me getting uneasy on work. To add more problems on the matter is that not only is the third mate annoying but Pump man Obina is also making the same bitchy attitude as the third mate, I simply can't focus on my work and concentrate if these cock suckers keep yelling at me. So in other words I had two problems dealing with aside from un mooring operation, . I had been on six ships already and people like that are one of the worst people to work with - they are really pathetic, certainly lacking of civil manners and simply cannot teach or lead people. Their tiny idiotic brains simply think that the whole work is a competition and not cooperation, Anyway as a result I will keep in mind  to stay out of them as far as possible when it comes to mooring / unmooring operations.