Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 29, 2014

THOUGHTS OF A RATING

48 hours ago..........



restaurant inside maritime hotel 
Finally after quite some time I had now finally finished all my paper prerequisite requirements to get my ass deployed in CONTI Greenland. Personally I'm satisfied that I have already settled all that needs to be done rather than hurling my way on the last minute. Career Company says that my deployment will be on this June but I bet it will be on July, regardless on which month I'd be deployment will not matter - For now all I can say is that I'm on the waiting list.

Submitting the two remaining requirements and attending PDOS seminar (Pre departure orientation)was accomplished in a snap.

For the moment I had been pondering on a few things like questioning why Filipino sailors have to get COP's. Rumour's started way back somewhere in 2010, apparently there was this so called STCW meeting that was held in manila, had no detail on what was discussed there but what I do know it held a conclusion that all training's and other certificates previously taken by all sailors (Filipino's specifically) will be scrapped by 2017. I'm not exactly sure also who said that, but I can only surmise that since this STCW was held in manila , some dumb fuck MR. KNOW-IT-ALL Filipino's (probably a PMMA or MAAP origin) said they wanted to "Uplift Maritime Training Standards". In other words these Filipino's bastards don't have an idea that they're going to make a fucking miserable mistake on the maritime community. They never realized that the only merchant marine assholes out there that are going to get sacked are us Filipino's
The end result of the STCW manila conventions was that some trainings have been changed (or simply just renamed cosmetically from their former counterparts) such examples will be this COP's. like MARINA COP which is basically just a renamed version of TESDA COC, and training seminar COP's which is basically also a renamed version of NAC. Another example is the "GTF" seminar which will be renamed "BTOCT" (something like that) and "STCT" will be renamed "ATCT" (specialized training for chemical tanker ---> Advance training for chemical tanker)

Training centre's here in the Philippines approve this on a self-serving reason, we pay them more on training certificates that have only been changed cosmetically by changing the name.

On the lower level, ratings such as me will have to bear the whiplash of starting all over again on each and every training seminars I took since I was a deck cadet, unfortunately for me I'm a tanker man which have more training seminars compare to any other "rating" class of sailors. More seminars - means more expenses in renewing those seminars, definitely bad news for me.

Anyway going back …..

NAIA Terminal 1, the second worst airport on the world (well at least its second and not number one), yup indeed and they're certainly living up to their name on the worst service. Small and cramped compared to other "Asian" airports in the region and plus outside taxi's are sharks ripping off money out of helpless tourist (and fellow OFW's)  on over priced transportation fees 
At about Thursday, June 26th . I called career ship management office to confirm if despatch on Friday was confirmed. "Reggie" confirmed that I needed to report on this day to get my plane tickets and some documents, In other words its confirmed that despatch on Friday is on scheduled.

I went there as early as I could and got the documents (plus plane ticket) along with the coveralls that I will use for Conti Greenland, aside from that I also got to see the other co-workers who will be joining me on the flight to Amsterdam Netherlands  (the messman and bosun) . To my dismay I'm unable to encash the "Cash Advance" cheque on the nearest bank due to bad weather.

Fortunately enough the plane ticket says that our flight will be on the latter afternoon and I still have enough time to encash it. I gave the money I encash to my mom, as she needs it for some expenses for the house.

On the morning of Friday , Aunt tess introduced to us one of my cousins who will look after mom and dad while I'm away. I do hope that this cousin of mine is up to task in looking after them while I'm gone in Europe, and he doesn't screw up on his part time babysitting job.

As I left the house for work, I didn't have any heavy heart over leaving nor the gloomy mood compared to my previous departures before, probably because I'd be just away from home for 6 months and that I'd be back in either after Christmas or after new year. This for the record is the shortest working contract time I had ever handled for the moment.

My sister and her current boyfriend accompanied me to NAIA 1 airport terminal and ensured that I got thru on the luggage check, they made sure that my luggage won't go beyond the 40 kilogram limit (it registered 37 kilograms). After the luggage check , I already sent home my sister and her boyfriend and was already out on my own with two other strangers (the messman and bosun) and boarded the plane bounded to Amsterdam.  Based on the china airline plane tickets , the first stop will be Taiwan then change planes from Taiwan to Amsterdam, Netherlands,. A pretty straight forward flight not the usual "Bouncing"   flight arrangements career usually give's to its sailors. On the latter I found out that Taiwan to Netherlands flight wasn't exactly a direct flight route on china airlines and that there is a "stop over" flight in Thailand for an hour. I had no problems on what the procedure and what to do on a stopover flight scenario and frankly I'm very fortunate that my co-workers here (the bosun and messman) are smart enough and more considerate in not leaving their people behind. I found out that "stop over" flights are just basically going around in another security check before going in the waiting lounge for the plane.

In flight shows in china airlines 
The second flight was a long one and didn't got a good rest as their isn't enough leg room on the cramped space in airlines. As for the food , it wasn't that bad eating flight meals and I've already gotten used to eating food that is just reheated from microwave ovens. China airlines hospitality and flight accommodations on my personal rate is just a mid-tier, it not as good as Cathay pacific airlines (or Qatar airlines) and certainly not as bad as Philippine Airlines.

We arrived in Amsterdam, Netherlands at around 11am and after another security check with the customs. We finally got out of the airport and was greeted with an NSB liaison guy named "Sam", we rode a van which he took us to Rotterdam (2 hours travel)then to a local hotel called "Maritime Hotel" , probably a sailor themed hotels here in Rotterdam. 

HELLO Netherlands !!! its been four years since i last visited you, Hope your people treat me well on the hospitality part cause i don't like assholes :D


Sent from Windows Mail