Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 31, 2014

NEGATIVE VALUES 101

Yet another Tedious and boring drill, Seriously this is just a big <YAWN> 

Finally it's about damn time, that I saw something wrong here on board this ship, as expected on my theory of "observing people for two months" to check for anything wrong really paid off. My "buffer period" yielded to discovering some people here actually think of me as "inferior" and "lacking intellectually" . It may not be much compared to what I had experienced in Cape Tallin or Stolt Strength, but only proves my theory (and rule) of the "two month buffer period" in checking out the environment for any threats. For now my observations include that people here have so far "benign" ego problems, - I'd continue my observations further to see any more threats.

Anyway aside from proving that theory, on the bigger picture. I could assume that at least two thirds of the entire Filipino sailors have behavioural issues - as in serious anti-social behavioural issues !!! , Main reasons why new comers (and deck cadets in particular) should watch their backs.

On my case, it’s a good thing that thru experience, observation and careful analysis that I had develop anti-personnel tactics. People reading this blog would really know the value of "Never talk to strangers" and protection of being anonymous. The only thing they know about me here is that I came from CSM principal and I had been a sailor for quiet sometime - nothing more, they don’t known my previous work done before being a sailor or my background. I am thankful that I had practiced all the precaution rules on this ship and I'm living comfortably that the bigotry here is checked.

Working relations tend to get sour as time goes by , though I'm not exactly involve here but other people around me. The latest from what I heard was that extra working hours done by the mess man and chief cook , will not be paid at all. Technically although work was done on a normal schedule, the Captain wanted them to write on their "weekly job done form" to be less than the actual hours of work done. To make it simple some working hours will be regarding as somewhat "free" - really bad news for them in the sense that no workforce in the world will definitely agree on working for free, and who the hell would want that ? (except slave labour). Really bizarre on how these soviets handle their work force like that.

In relation to the reduced workforce labour. It seems as well that the deck department is having its own share of reduced hours, and to my surprise during the transit going out in the black sea via Istanbul. The captain said that we should take a day off after anchoring early in the morning, probably on the fact that regular working hours will be shifted temporarily on night time because of some sort of provisioning thing (resupply , as a layman's term put it). At first I wasn’t exactly sure if I heard correct on the radio that the whole day work is off and we will be called back in night time, I confirmed it to my co-worker O.S. Ronnie and said indeed there won't be any work on the daytime temporarily.

Later on the evening on that day, we heaved anchor. I had plans to record the heaving of anchor work but I hesitated and decided that I'd do it maybe next time. Soon after the anchor was heaved, The three of us (me, BOSUN Payopay, and O.S. Ronnie) when on standby to await the pilot while channelling and await as well the coming provisions. Based on what I heard from them - provision boat will be arriving by somewhere midnight or past it.

11pm at that day I was waken up from a quick nap by the phone. I quickly wore my coveralls and headed outside, it was pitch dark and I could see a thing outside. Took me quite a while for my eyes to adjust , Good thing that I could hear the sound of the cargo crane machinery being switched on so I had an idea were I'm headed. At about 30 minutes later, almost everybody from the deck and engine department were awake.

Provision boat came close to midnight , and we quickly carried all the stuff to the  provision chamber as soon as the crates were loaded up on the deck area. It only took us a short time to finish the task.

Over the next two days, we were busy doing the usual maintenance work on board. Myself for now was assigned on the work in the garbage, really smelly job and dirty work but that's my assignment for now on segregation of these materials. Both NSB and CSM is very critical about the garbage related issue - given that CSM has been caught in a number of times throwing garbage at sea, latest I heard from them was the U.S. Coast Guard got them red handed and they paid a huge fine plus got them into some sort of probation up to now.

In other matters

To my surprise and astonishment, Friday's work schedule turned out to be half day and Saturday's to be whole day rest. From what I heard there might be a huge work on Sunday and they moved the rest days to a bit earlier just to compensate for the rest hours in a week.

We had a routine drill this Saturday which was an abandon drill and fire fighting scenario plus some boring familiarization about how to operate an emergency generator , emergency breathing apparatus etc.

During the abandon ship , I came into a close call from being bitched out by captain gorge potirniche (the guy has a nasty habit of blaming other people on his mistakes) . Fortunately Bosun Payopay told me to quickly get the pyrotechnic flares and bring it to the lifeboat station. By the time I got there , the captain was making a check on the equipment on each crew member and turns out it was my turn be checked on the equipment part.

As for the fire drill, I had difficulty attaching the fire hose to the nozzle , attaching the hose to the hydrant was easy but on the nozzle it was a totally bitch and wouldn't connect. As a result my whole time on the fire drill was wasted in trying to attach the nozzle.

After a brief boring discussion on the crew mess after the drills, I hurried got out of the room and to my surprise, mess man Montoya followed me and rudely ranted something about me not putting back the chair I sat at on its proper place plus he mention that whenever I would eat beyond the normal "eating" hours, I would have to wash my own dishes and glasses because they have a thing called a working hours cap. Fine by me if that’s the case, but I don't think it’s a big deal about the chair thing being away only for three feet from its original location, plus do I have to really get to know his working hour limitations ? - it's not my problem if he's too damn lazy to wash the dishes or hates going to work , and I never said anything about him working beyond his working hours - nobody is forcing him to do shit ! . If he hates washing those fucking glasses and dishes beyond his working hours, then don’t wash them , you moron ! - simple as that ! I don’t need lectures ! Especially from self-proclaimed righteous people.  I had been doing mess man task a few years back and I know what kind of shit he's talking about and during my time I didn't complain because It's my job as a mess man to clean other peoples crap which includes the job description of washing the dishes and putting all the stuff in any mess room back to its proper place !

Fucking bigots !!!!

From now on I'm starting to distance myself away from him as humanly possible , that bastard thinks he can push people around ….. Well he's screwing the wrong guy.

In work….

Filling out this so called work time sheet, is very chore some and to make it more chore some is I have to write all the jobs I had done in detail for whole week. I don't see any point why I had to write done my work in detail as it clearly understood that 90 percent of my work here is on the deck maintenance. Apparently this NSB work form is much more tedious than the one made by CSM, why the hell do I have to write it in full detail ? Would It be a lot easier for me just to write done "Deck Maintenance" or like in a CSM form that I just only put an "X" mark on the specific time I made work.

Probably NSB think's that its crew is cheating on their work, well not as much as what NSB ( Niederelbe Schiffahrtsgesellschaft buxtehude )does on its worker's. Damn fucking Soviets ! Ever since they took charge on running the show on the principal , all they do is haggle on other peoples salary and think that we work for free, shit !!! no workforce labour on this planet would like to work for free ! . It was better before when the western European's were in charge. Damn Soviets they still have their communism attitude of forced labour (people working without getting paid) with them even though communism already fell on its ass more than 20 years ago !

On Monday August 18, 2014

It was expected that this ship will arrive at Barcelona Spain by around 10am in the morning and it will be berthing upon arrival but unexpectedly it turned out to be going to anchor first and we dropped anchor at about 10 am, after the successful dropping of anchor, Me , O.S. "Ronnie" and BOSUN Payopay went to the crew to have the routine coffee break.

Exactly after the coffee, We heard on BOSUN's Radio that captain Potirniche is now ordering us to heave anchor and prepare the pilot ladder on both sides. We immediately went to the forward and heaved the anchor, while I was busy lowering the anchor ball and we got only two shackles left on the chain for the anchor to be recovered. We received another order from the radio that we should stop heaving up anchor and prepare again to drop it at sea.

What drop it off anchor again !! You got to be kidding me ?? (that's what I said to myself) . Apparently from what I heard, Captain Potirniche made a mistake on what he heard on the pilot station and had to wait for another for further notice before going into port.

The following morning..

I was busy segregating trash when I heard it over the radio that the anchor will heaved soon, O.S. "Ronnie" came to the trash compartment where I was working and said that we better hurry up.


August 16, 2014….

In a few days' time will be my birthday, that means I'd be adding another year again on my age - it's nothing special I'd be just a bit older than the previous year.

For the moment, things are not really looking good to me financially. I just recently received my payroll form and it turns out that this will be the second month that I had negative values on my salary. To be specific I now had a - 101.49 USD salary. I'm not absolutely happy about this and what on earth is Columbia Ship Management doing on its payroll system ?!!! Last month I was charged for the so called "Overpaid" salary of 300 U.S.D. , so which pretty much explains why I had a -52.53 $ , Now not only that I won't receive a salary for this month ( my salary by the way per month is $ 1262 ) but I'd have to payback 101.49 US dollars to CSM , - WHAT THE HELL !!!! What the fuck is going on with this company ?!! , I'm not very good at numbers but I'm not definitely stupid on what the hell is going in my salary, and I seriously think that CSM is pretty much ripping me off.

If they keep doing this fiasco next month , then expect that I'd be leaving Career  Ship Management for good. What kind of company doesn’t keep accurate tabs   on their employee's huh ? Surely if they keep doing this up expect that retention on their sailor's will be very poor.

Anyway I had already scheduled to be leaving this company by around 2016, the time where all my documents will be fully updated in preparation for the totally renewal of Seminar training of all sailors by 2017. I think I can still shift to another company given that my U.S. visa will still be valid at around April 18, 2018 which that will put me in plenty of time regardless of what rank I'd be and whether or not I got a license. As long as I got a U.S. Visa valid and updated transition from another company won't be that hard.

(Rule of the thumb in labour workforce is that if a company has issues with salary payoff, it would be best advice to leave the job and find another company that doesn't have issues with the payroll. This rule applies to both overseas or local employment , either seabased or landbased)

In other matters…

Last August 26, This ship has finally arrived in la Havre France, and we had to drop anchor. It was thought earlier that this ship might go "berthing upon" arrival scenario but eventually two days before this ship arrived it was announced by Second mate Olan that this ship will be anchoring first. Good for us that this will be the case and were getting some slack over the hard work around here.

During the anchor drop via gravity, I could say that my performance in dropping the anchor gets better and better (on my personal perception) I could now at least "control" the rate of the chain paid out when it drops. Now the only thing I have to get used to is how to quickly put on the brakes without scaring BOSUN Payopay and O.S. "Ronnie" .

The rest of the week was doing the typical routine maintenance such as painting , chipping and polishing and removing rust from the hull, typical sailor stuff of work if were in the middle of nowhere. The only thing different for now is that I had some sort of injury on my point finger, can't exactly say what kind of injury it is but my joints on the point finger is badly inflamed and I can't hardly bend my finger at all, whenever I bend my finger it hurts like hell. Guess I had to use now my middle finger temporarily whenever I'm clicking something on the mouse. This has been going on for more than a week now.