Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 31, 2015

THE POWER TO KILL A GOD

Illustration and caricature of Captain Sorin


April 29, 2015 Wednesday

Ship has finally arrived in Spain and in preparation to this , Working schedules were only half day as it is expected that it will be berthing upon arrival situation. Good for us that at least we could get some rest before getting busy. Well apparently management here was insisting that we should still be on work till 3pm (god damn jack asses !!) but somehow it was reduced to only half days work, which is of course favourable on our terms and we won't get over fatigue. Well some crew here don't mind at all if there will be working till that time but apparently their not willing to do so because NSB will not pay for the extra efforts, In other words it will end up being just "working for free" which is a big no - no in any workforce labour.

At about 8pm the engines of this ship stopped and it was my cue that this ship has arrived and a pilot will be boarding in soon. Mooring soon followed, after that I proceeded to take a rest for a few hours and factory reset my HP pc. It wasn't that difficult to reset my HP and my reasons why I had to reset it was because most drives and hardware that are compatible before now seemed to be incompatible , and can't install. Anyway it’s a good thing that I had a back drive for everything and I brought it along on the trip.

When I got out for my working schedule , I was surprised to learn from O.S. Rafael Crisostomo that our lovely jack ass captain now forbids everyone to wear a face mask gear. WHAT THE HELL !!!! , I haven't asked any further why suddenly the captain forbids the use of this equipment and certainly I'm left figuring it out. Obviously Anyone in their right mind won't care if people wear this , but of course Captain sorin isn't in his right mind , so its unsurprising. Luckily for me this is only applicable when were inside port otherwise it would be very difficult for me

At about 10 am the following morning this ship left , and to my knowledge it is headed to New jersey (or new York) USA.

Couple of days went by and at around Sunday afternoon, Captain Sorin conducted a meeting at the bridge. O.S. Bantic came in late and our lovely "god"  captain got all fired up blabbering about disrespect.  There's a hint on the meeting that we might even work on Sundays (Sundays are rest days) due to the upcoming U.S. coast guard inspection. Anyway doesn’t matter and makes no difference as long as I stick to my known routine's on the drill. It was also discussed that after lunch break the engine crew will be unclogging some sort of water pipe.

By Monday, weather was terrible and had problems keeping my balance and orientation around due to sea sickness - I didn’t throw up from the motion sickness but my work was obviously hindered and worked slow. it was after lunch break when suddenly I was approached by third mate corales saying that I'm a likely candidate in handling the bond store and asked if its ok on my side. I blindly said yes without even thinking for a second thought (which is kind of stupid on my part). So overnight I became now assistant to third mate corales on the bond store, Anyway bond store handling isn't really that bad. I already handled this during my time in Cape Tallin , and also both on Stolt Strength and Bow Ophelia on the other company. Personally I find it bothersome to be handling the bond store despite the lucrative offer, probably on the fact that some of my personal activities will be affected like I'd be required to be in the crew mess every now and then, plus less time I will be spending on my free time

In other news, most of the work I had been doing was galley related duties basically just cleaning the dry good shelves and refrigerator chamber. Probably the reason why I had been doing work in the galley was the fact that our "God"  captain here is skittish about the upcoming U.S. Coast Guards Inspections and doesn’t want any lapses of any remarks coming from U.S. authorities regarding that this ship is "unsafe"  . Probably he's over excited on the fact that if a ship captain thinks he's a god around the ship, then the U.S. coast guard has the power to kill a god. In other words the arrogance and power of ship captains is basically nothing there and U.S. authorities has the power to send them back home packing.

I guess public media and pop culture portrays ship captains, as gentle wise elderly folk which has a big friendly smile , and smoking a pipe - similar to Santa Claus. Unfortunately In reality its exactly the opposite - and most Ship captains I had encountered (Filipino and other nationalities alike) are nothing more than an aged hostile cocky son of a bitch who thinks of themselves as a human version of the divine and supreme, for short - just another asshole around. Anyway this fact just adds more to my conclusion that being in the maritime community is just as worse as being into prison, totally a god awful environment and definitely I don’t want to waste my (life and) career here.