Total Pageviews

Monday, December 8, 2014

STEEL AND OIL

Mooring was a bitch years back, from all the work I had to do on-board a ship, the thing I most abhor at is mooring - I mean I could get to do some of the most dangerous work on-board a ship like go inside a cargo hold , or even dangle and rig the gangway ladder on the ships side and still be calm on work.

Mooring is something that I really hate the most and won't get along with up to now. Why ? The answer is simple. People there always yell at me even on the smallest of things, plus I get a nasty ridicule every so often. Honestly I can't really comprehend why Filipino's always act that way on mooring / unmooring operation - total fucking bastard's thinking that this simple work is some sort of warped Olympic contest.

just can't stand at all on those kinds of stuff and it only shows how shallow minded creatures are we Filipino's. Really pathetic of us , but that’s the grim truth.

Anyway enough of me ranting, I should get on in writing about what happened recently on work.

As expected this ship berthed at 19th of November in Barcelona , Spain. There wasn't really anything interesting to see in this place, basically this area is just another one of the so many industrial area's I had been into on so many countries.  They just all look the same to me now - The glitter and glamour of being "Overseas" has lost its shine on me a long time ago.

Soon after this ship got there , Provision Truck came in and delivered the supplies needed (which is mostly food). All was going well until , we received a notice that we shouldn't use the cargo crane in hauling off the provisions, things went horribly work after that and The outcome was that we had to one by one pick up the stuff from the shore and put them all the way inside the ship. We looked like a couple of ants getting a supply run and bring it back on the ant hill - in a single file ! . That kind of work was really terrible and very manual and I think I slightly strained my right ankle from all that walk going in and out on the ship.

Bosun Payopay saw that I'm terribly exhausted and told me to rest for a couple of hour then be back here at midnight to start my work shift as gangway watchman. On my watch , it was already past 9pm and I only had a couple of hours left. I made no waste on the remaining time and quickly slept, a good two hours rest should be enough to calm my weariness.

On my work shift in midnight, It was pretty average. Duties still include watching over the gangway and Manifold area, not really a big deal anyway. During the last two hours of my work shift, fatigue started to kick in again and had to endure again the effects of sleep deprivation and it seems two hours of sleep wasn’t enough to make me fully rested.

After my work shift, I resumed back again to sleep to recover . A 3 hour sleep may be very little for land based standards but for sea based work , it’s a big help in getting rest and avoiding fatigue from sleep deprivation. A good sailor should remember to make good use of the time and get his energy back by resting whenever its possible , aside from that he has also have to be trained to resist on sleep deprivation situations .

Midway on my afternoon work shift (12 noon to 6 pm) , I heard on the radio that BOSUN Payopay and A.B. Marlon was called in on the ship's captains office , later during my coffee break , they were in the crew mess talking and heard that it seems that BOSUN Payopay will be disembarking on an earlier basis (as soon as possible) for some court order in England , apparently it was an enquiry about his previous ship many years back about some cargo that "solidified". According to the story up to now there is still some enquiry going on and they had to interview everyone involve on the mis-handlement of the cargo by NSB.

In relation to BOSUN Payopay's situation, The BOSUN position in this ship will be vacant and from the memo CSM emailed to this ship , they are now endorsing A.B. Marlon's as a replacement BOSUN. So basically it will mean that as soon as BOSUN Payopay disembarks , A.B. Marlon will now be the new BOSUN who will give us job orders in maintenance. Indirectly connected to both situations is that , there's a possibility that me and Messman Montoya will be disembarking soon as well - if assuming that this ship will head off to a "Convenient port" . After all me, mess man montoya and bosun payopay have been here now for almost near six months and will be finishing our working contracts within just a couple of weeks . Hopefully we will all get back in the Philippines before Christmas and messman montoya is thrilled about this, probably because  Captain Kolev is giving the steward department a difficult time on his bitchin lately. Anyway couldn't blame them if they're already fed up with the captain - after all his manners aren't that well refined and a bit odd for normal standards. Like what kind of captain takes stuff on the bond store without notifying the person in charge of what items that were taken, or totally locking down the entire provision area (complete with padlocks and keys) thinking he's crew might steal something in there or removing the hooks on accommodation door and keeping them closed all the time at sea .

(convenient port means that this ship can have a crew change, you can disembark and join a ship on those countries. If the country is not a convenient port it means a crew will staying a bit longer on the ship despite having finished the working contracts - that is until a ship stumbles on a much friendlier country on the latter to send him home .F.Y.I. most western European countries are convenient ports while eastern European one's are mostly inconvenient ports)

At about 10pm, I received a call from my cabin phone that we should now be on standby and that this ship is already waiting for the pilot. Hurriedly dressed up for it and brought along my camera secretly to record the unmooring operation. I think this recording is essential given that mooring / unmooring operation is an integral part of being a sailor, There is no sailor that I knew of working on cargo ships that didn’t went on this work. So I guess the recording is very important for the general public to understand what do exactly a sailor does on board a ship.

Unmooring was short and easy and manage to get at least 8 minutes or so of footage , I didn’t get the whole thing but I got the very important parts so this video is ok.



After the unmooring, Me , One of the new O.S. and Bosun Payopay. Secured a few mooring equipment , and anchors. I had a minor accident while securing the starboard anchor and tripped accidentally on the anchor wash valve, nothing to worry and didn't got hurt that bad.

Just to add…

Before this ship unmoored, Chief mate Bayev and Chief Engineer Chavchandze disembarked (finish contract) - and was replaced with the new chief engineer and chief mate . I haven't got the names of the two yet but I can tell who the chief mate and Chief Engineer. C/E wears eye glasses and C/M looks more like Liam nelson (Actor who played "schindler's list" movie). Anyway good riddance that I finally got rid of Chief Mate Bayev !!! Well he's ok for the most part but the problem is that a crew can't get any privacy from him like from what happened on my " toilet incident" . I mean come on !! Are we going to talk about how dirty my room is all day long or check up the plumbing and see if my toilet still works. I'm a slob when it comes to room cleaning but it's my business and mine alone, his aim to knock on my door in the first place was to inspect my toilet and not tell me to clean my cabin like some 10 year old kid.