Total Pageviews

Monday, December 8, 2014

TROUBLE AT THE HOMEFRONT

News has just arrived via ship's email. More personal problems as what my sister emailed to me. To keep being professional, (in some extent too professional) I will not discuss minute details. I can only write that me and my sister are in a lot of financial trouble lately - not directly but indirectly, Bills, debts and financial matters have been piling up in huge overwhelming waves just to keep mom alive and maintain her dialysis treatment. Worst part is that my sister is taking all the "wrath and all of its fury" on the situation, I have no exact news on how is she holding up nor how bad it is - but from the looks of it and analysing the situation, my conclusion is - REALLY OVERWHELMINGLY BAD.

It is my estimated that by the time I finish my contract, I would be arriving in the middle of a shit storm back home and I'd be having my hands full clearing it. Honestly I'm already starting to picture myself in a bad situation by the time I finish my working contract here on conti Greenland and got back in the Philippines. For now I feel totally helpless and could only read the house news via ships email and hear my sister take all the beating on the financial trouble. Regardless of the situation , My sister has my full support , whether it be financial or other related matters.

In other news …

On October 25th, Captain kolev called in a short meeting at the bridge - deck department personnel only. The meeting was all about what happened on the recent flag state inspection on St. Petersburg Russia, obviously he wasn't happy that the port authorities found some inconsistencies on the visitors log. The first three entries to be specific on which it was only written that immigration officials came in and their names were never written down.

Captain Kolev and chief mate Bayev insist that under all circumstances , that visitors logbook must be properly identified and all people coming on-board should be inspected and identified. May sound very easy for them , but in reality its more complicated than what these soviets think. In anyway gangway watchman has no "police power" to hold anyone on the gangway entrance , especially if it's a Russian immigration official that has a 45 calibre hand gun placed on the holster - in actual practice , you'd just let them thru and write down their name in the visitors log. It may all sound proper to question and hold people but let us remember that this was Russia and Russian's aren't the nicest of things compared to the Dutch , or even the western Europeans and hate being put hold on one place, chances are they might point the gun at us , Captain Kolev should remember that it will be the gangway watchman that will be shot and not them . Probably there's a rumour going on that the reason why the port state authorities was very critical about this was because the captain never even bothered to be generous nor offer any drinks (for short bribe's) to the authorities.

Going back, it was a good thing that the time it was written down it wasn't on my work shift or else , I would get all the flak.

Following day.

There was a fire drill , the drill was very typical and we didn’t do any actual drill at all because of the bad weather and freezing temperature. Basically it was just simply a standard lecture about a SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus) equipment and testing it out. Before the lecture started chiefmate bayev noticed the appearance of my helmet , apparently questioning the safeness of my headlight and ask if I could show some sort of "safety certificate" of such on the equipment. Of course I said yes and even added that I have a manual over this equipment, and its certified to be used in tanker ships as what it says on the manual and on the pamphlets in sunny euro brochure. Anyway to avoid any more chatter, it was agreed on the conversation that I won't wear this gear when the Vetting inspector is around as a precaution.

Soon after the brief conversation after the drill, few of my co-workers started telling me that I shouldn't use the damn thing at all (whether deck maintenance or at port). Despite what some of my co-workers tell me about it, I'm not fazed at all on using it, and if must I'm willing to put the extra effort in arguing on the use of my "PELI 2640 ATEX Category 3 certified " headlight if needed.

For the ignoramus co-workers of mine, I specially selected that headlight for use because of the characteristics being an ATEX Category 3 Certified equipment and not on the fact that it looks good around on my safety helmet.

The incident is caught also in video as evidence, (it was recorded on the last part and good thing I was wearing a "Spy Camera" during that incident)



Problem with us sailors is that , most people often (and if not always) get jealous on other peoples equipment especially if I'm wearing unconventional gear. Stuff that is not commonly used by a typical average Filipino Juan, like I said and posted several times on my blog the equipment I used does not in any way contradict the "safety working" guidelines . The only problem here is the nasty nature called "Crab mentality" (or simply say human jealousy).  I find it rather ridiculous that they had been around for decades and yet they haven't developed any tools or equipment to make their working conditions better. I find it surprising that despite being in the 21st century , a Filipino sailor hasn’t evolved anything beyond a simple chipping hammer , coveralls and a helmet , hmpf ! Most probably us Filipino's are busy using our grey matter in creating rumours and  defuncting other people works rather than inventing something. Filipino's are genius in respect but not in the way of inventing something like scientist or engineers do.

Years back I remember that most Filipino sailors told me that I can't use any ordinary flashlight around for work and it has to be "instrically safe", if it's going to be a privately owned flash light it should be the expensive "PELI" brand nothing more. Years fast forward - now that I got a "PELI" brand and took the efforts of acquiring it despite the cost , STILL people around me tell that's I shouldn't use the  fucking thing at all. GOD DAMN MOTHER LOVING COMMIE !!! What the fuck is the problem with Filipino's eh ???!!! Clearly and without mistake it only shows that Filipino human nature of jealousy. If their own kind gets a better stuff , they get angry. 



After a few days …….

Couple of days have passed since my last entry and the ships current position is now drifting somewhere in the middle of Gibraltar waiting for company orders on which country will it discharge its cargo. In the meantime, deck maintenance personnel (myself concluded) are doing the usual routine work of rust chipping, polishing , Painting primer paint to the area.

Speaking of maintenance related issue , I haven't discussed yet that even a simple maintenance related work could be so complicated here. On the big fact that there is only one functional (and working) jet chisel and Cup brush on the whole entire ship. I had no idea why the management doesn’t even bother buying an extra or two on maintenance tools at all, personally I think the management can buy those tools if needed be , but the problem here is that ships officers here namely the soviet chief mate and captain are more interested in being a schmoozer in the company and isn't exactly interested of even mentioning to the company the needed tools and spare parts. Probably they figure that if they can push the workers here "beyond the limit" of working with just the most primitive tools,  they'd get some extra nice flowery perfume on their name in the company.

As a result , were stuck here using the old and un reliable chipping hammer to get the rust off by banging it. Really primitive way of working for the maintenance. Anyway what do I expect from this soviets eh ? Their more interested in achieving goals and skipping out (and perhaps totally ignore at all )the smaller important details - the ones that really matter.

In other news

Officially my stay and expiration of my contract is just only around almost less than two months from now. If my memory serves me correct my working contract will expire by December 27th this year but being home before Christmas or perhaps before new year would be skeptical due to CSM / Careers company policy. Anyway I don’t really mind at all to be hanging out here for a little time longer maybe I could make something beneficial out of it after all my finances are really bone dry for the moment.

On November 7 2014, this ship has finally berthed to Algeciras and in such short notice. It’s a good thing that bringing up all the mooring ropes (loose rope) are much easier on storage rather than being stored. It took us only as little as an hour in pulling all the eight mooring ropes in standby (both forward and aft) and at around 3pm we've finished all the equipment that will be needed. As payback for the aft mooring team about what happened last time (I mentioned on entry "Snow Flakes" )It was decided that we leave the canvass cover on the aft winches and let the AFT mooring crew remove it themselves.

At about 6:30PM , despite the initial information that berthing will be at 10pm or to the least expected that any activity regarding berthing will begin at about at least 8pm, I was surprised that I was  "ringed" on my cabin phone that early. Upon answering I was told that we have to heave anchor in a few minutes. I heard that after heaving the anchor , our lovely pathetic soviet captain was too anxious to start the work - much to my annoyance. Damn Bulgarians !!!

Had a minor problem on the middle part of mooring operations in the aft, a slight confusion to be specific about connecting those lines. Apparently O.S. Dinglasa keeps saying that there was no need for me to connect the other heaving to the other as the length was sufficient enough to reach the other side (mooring wharf) , while the 2nd mate, pump man Sepulveda and A.B Ganub kept saying that I should now connect the lines while there still time. Adding more annoyance was that these people can't make their minds up and keep saying contradicting orders like for example I should tie the other end to the monkey piece end , while the other says I should connect it on the other end - resulting to more confusion. Damn fuckers can't really make up their mind. To my annoyance after that , I left O.S. Dinglasa and others on how to figure things out on the heaving line and grabbed my metal hook and just stayed position near the winch along with fitter Chaingan.

On the forward mooring team has its own share of problem during that time as well, From what I heard over the radio. Our Bulgarian Captain keeps pushing around the crew there and saying that there too slow in mooring , enough to displease the folks there. Like I said the problem with these people is that they're saying things that are "easier said than done". Bulgarian dumbass thinks that mooring wires and rope are "hand-held" equipment but in reality it's so heavy that it takes both hands and at least two persons to drag the damn thing.

Things got really messy to the point that aft mooring crew had arrived and assisted them on the mooring. From my perspective by the time we arrived , the breast line (soft ropes, mooring arrangement 3:2:2 ) was the ropes that were being moored. We assisted them and finished the job.

When me and A.B. Layos got back on the locker room to change coveralls , I briefly went outside to get my gloves and saw 2nd engineer Maksym Plokhotnichenko and asked me on what happened on the forward mooring and what took them so long, I replied plainly without giving any details that there some problems encountered. After hearing that "Maksym" said a nasty remark saying that these "crew" are lazy and took them a long time to finish. I never said any word on his remarks and kept quiet but it was clear to me that it was very rude to say things like that , I was there and helped the forward mooring crew finish the job and does he have any idea on what kind of shit storm people are handling there ?? How could he say that ?!

When I went back to the locker room and A.B. layos ask what 2nd engineer Maksym was talking about, I said "you don’t wanna know, You'd just get pissed about it" .


Size of actual mooring rope in comparison with an adult human hand, do they have any idea on how heavy this shit is ???