Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 8, 2014

PERPLEX POINT

February 15, 2014 Saturday

Saturday as expected wasn't exactly "half-Day" work at all, Apparently Chief Mate Bezruchko isn't very lenient when it comes to weekends compared to his predecessor Chief Mate Nagorny and as anticipated most of the crew here are not very happy about it. Usual practice here in this ship (Cape Tallin), Saturdays are half day work while Sundays are rest day. However ever since Captain valeriy and Chief mate Bezruchko arrived they started having idea's cancelling off rest days (It started on my entry "Pointing Fingers") and putting more work load, worst part of it is that were already over worked and the overtime pay got decimated to around only 55 hours instead of the usual 120 Hours as normal practice here.

Captain Valeriy is already gone and has been replaced by Captain Slabada (during this ships dry dock repairs last January 2014) however the practice of cancelling out weekends still haven't stopped, The insult to this is that they're cancelling out weekends on a normal maintenance operation and its not even an emergency at all  (Like cargo loading / discharge operations).

Having a weekends off is good , but on how are the things going here. Assume that weekends will be always cancelled out for the time being until chief mate Bezruchko gets disposed of.'

Anyway For the work on Saturday , nothing much was done, I just swept the whole ship from forward till i ended up somewhere in the mid ship area. Wasn't really a tiring job. By the way while I was in the middle of my work, temperatures suddenly drop near freezing level and there was a huge fog coming from the sea (sea smoke). I had to put on my winter coveralls as a precaution and i don't want to repeat the same mistake i did during the dry docks.

There was one thing i could recall though about me giving my wenger Swiss army knife to O.S. De Monte before i disembark on this ship. Honestly I don't see anything wrong about giving it to him, and we were having a conversation when all of a sudden BOSUN Amican "Frog Face" butted in and said "We're is his gift, after  i disembark" , I replied and said he doesn't need it and that both of us are disembarking on the same time. He replied again and said "how about on our next ship ?" , I just kept silent. I said to myself "as if I'm going to see the like's of you on my next ship, This is a huge company and there is little possibility at all that i would encounter you on my next ship. Thank god we wont be seeing each other again and I'd be getting rid of you once and for all, otherwise its going to be another 10 month hell hole for me" , aside from that i don't give memento's to bad guys.

an example of a muster station bill
In the late afternoon, We had a security drill. The scenario is "a bomb inside the ship" , as what was written on my muster list ( a piece of paper or memo telling what are a person duties during an emergency) i had to search the starboard side of the ship from the accommodation all the way to the forecastle, My "Team mates" according to the card is the new Russian third mate and O.S. Del Monte.

We search for some time however we came up with nothing at all , it was chief engineer and his team who got the "dummy box" .

Anyway i think the security card drill I got has some problems and whoever wrote it haven't checked out the possibility that there are some parts there that overlap each others duties, like for example the fore castle part which from what i recall is the duty search of the BOSUN and A.B. 3 only.

As for the news regarding my disembarkation, there's currently a new word about it. Apparently from what i heard is that our crew relievers are already set up and ready to go and that they're already waiting for us to wrap things up here on the loading operations in Kerch, Ukraine. The only problem i heard is that both Ukraine and Russia is not a *convenient port* for Filipino sailors to disembark with,( meaning we cant join or leave the vessel while were here) and we have to wait until this ship arrives on the Turkish straights for the crew exchange, in the meantime both CSM and career are declaring  up a part of our contract that says specifically + / - one month (either 8 months or 10 months) , simply saying that were still going to be here on this ship until march.

Bottom line is that it only boils down on one meaning - I'm stuck here until we finished up the loading operations and transit out of the Baltic