Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

TRIP HAZARD


Entry log : November 21, 2017 Tuesday
Location : Enroute to Singapore



According to paper. Shell / Nakilat (along with UPL) has been bragging about safety culture shit and modernity when it comes to equipment and such. True ! They do have the most modern facilities and advance equipment I had seen so far. So advance that even normal liquid Tanker crews would drool over it. However despite their modernity. Working on UPL Shell / Nakilat is never comfortable and never enjoying - oh no , far from it.

Has people have heard of a term called "Over safety" ? . Few people in the maritime industry mention this and even on my part , I had only heard of this during my college years. To summary "over safety" is a term used when too much  safety equipment is put on that its already considered impractical and unsafe.

Recently I was assigned to the usual deck maintenance , which is usual chipping rust , polishing the area and painting it. Based on my experience here, it was a chore and troublesome doing the same job here compared to that in a liquid tanker. Here an ordinary task gets overly complicated because of too much safety equipment - ( that its more becoming of a hazard than a protection ) . It's so over safety that its already ridiculous. This is an example

POLISHING CHIPPED RUST AREA's

I have to wear the basic PPE, then on my helmet I have to attach a Visor and inside the visor I have to wear goggles. On my body aside from coveralls I have to wear a safety harness along with an leather apron and gloves. Bottom line I looked more of like a bomb disposal unit from the explosive ordinance division of SWAT

I'm forced to wore this too much safety equipment that I have a hard time moving and seeing visually. Aside from that the leather apron is a trip hazard when climbing  up pipes, not to mention I can't see well resulting to me having a lot of trouble accomplishing my work. Another thing that annoys me is that they overcomplicate things, aside from the annoyance of difficulty on movement - I have to be reminded that I should adjust my "safety Harness" every now and then, If I forgot to adjust some of my crew mates (or even ship officers) would zoom in and say to me that I should adjust my harness every few minutes or so, and super annoyance.