Total Pageviews

Friday, October 26, 2018

EARLY SURVEYS OF TCC


August 17, 2018 Friday
Enroute to Singapore




News came by coming from my house and apparently it looks like that things went bad when I left. Based on what my sister told me flood destroyed nearly more than half of our house appliances and the flood height was even higher than it was on typhoon "ondoy" ten years back.

I'm not sure on how high is the extend of the damage caused by the flood but I reckon I might consider investing on life jackets in the future and air seal tight containers for protect on electronic devices., After all I never expect that the flood would be that high after ten years.

In other news …

Life in Vanguard seems to be peaceful , and less busy compared to any other ship I've been around so far. I'm still adjusting on the daily routines here on this ship and observing carefully their schedules.

From what I learned a few hours ago , "Tool box talk" starts at 7.30 am in the morning and coffee break, lunch break, midafternoon break, and work end , starts at exact time compared to any of my previous employers which start 15 minutes early. Anyway exact time water breaks doesn’t bother me and it's just minor. Another thing that I might add is the "maxicare" private health card insurance that  recruitment brags to TCC is mostly a sham. From what I heard to O.S. Chris , the chance a sailor only gets to have this maxi care is when he has already signed up for three contracts. So in other words , it's not available for me since this is my first contract with them

I'm not really bothered in not getting a maxicare heath insurance as this option is only available when something bad happens to me (like an accident), so it's not a problem with me and I'm fine with that. In any case as based on my experience on several shipping companies , they usually never tell what the catch on their so called "Perks"

On work schedules ., apparently TCC principal is lenient , Sundays are off work, while Saturday is basically half day work and Week days like Monday to Friday have normal working schedules starting 7:30 till 5pm. And the day before and the day after mooring is automatically rest day.

As for the supply of water and other necessities , it looks like that mineral bottle and such here is sold on the bond store and is not given freely. Again this is only trivial on my part , since I have my salary at my disposal to cope with on the cost.

I'm fine with the 1270 USD per month salary as an O.S. , Its not plenty but its sufficient here to cover up my losses after two disastrous campaigns. (CF Sharp - Norstar, and UPL-Shell)

Speaking of water , the normal water here that is supplied comes from a fountain hook up in a filter (which in turn is hooked up on the fresh water supply). I'm not exactly sure if the filter here does its job as what local folks here say , the water coming from that taste a bit different like a metallic taste. (rust maybe ??) . Whatever it may be the situation on water is similar to the incident "EAGLE BOSTON" which I encountered two years back. If the crew didn’t complained about it, the Norstar management wouldn't even bother to respond and resolve it .

Another problem about this Principal "TCC" (called Tai Chon Cheang Steamship CO H.K. LTD) in O.S.M. , is the presence of "Uwak's" . Although it’s a lesser extent and the place is not entirely overrun by them compared to my previous employer UPL - Shell.,  its still doesn’t mean that they're not a threat. Most Filipino sailors avoid companies who have "Uwak's" , I know so because , "Uwak's" are difficult people to deal with, and they treat Filipino's worst. Here on TCC I had heard rumour's that filipino crew avoid this principal like the plague not because of the salary but because the presence of "Uwak's".

Personally I myself don’t like any presence of "uwaks" on a company , and would rather prefer Europeans. For me they are one of the worst vermin to infest a shipping company, It’s the primary reason why I left my two previous employers in the first place because of "uwak" policies are very oppressive and anti - Filipino.    

Aside from that work load here for an "O.S." sailor is a bit on the borderline with an A.B., here when on it comes to port. I'm not exactly sure if this is a policy given by the Indian Management or just a company policy.

Any Filipino crew who would be sign up here on TCC principal would notice that this principal and company is stingy ( "KURIPOT" sa tagalog). They don’t bother to give filipino crew's a travel allowance when they join the ship and they don’t put the crew on a transit hotel, after or before a flight. They immediately put the crew straight away on the airport.