Total Pageviews

Friday, October 26, 2018

SEMI-HABITABLE


August 26, 2018 Sunday
Enroute to Malaysia.


There was last minute changes that happened, originally the ship was headed for Singapore and was later changed to somewhere in Malaysia. Another last minute change that happened was that instead of anchoring for five dance, it later turned out to be "BERTHING UPON ARRIVAL" . So as a result every routine work was put up in a hurry.

Like for example the installation and removal of razor wire fence and preparation of mooring lines. We didn’t have even enough time in laying out mooring lines in the aft area as a result.

During mooring , I had problems operating the winches because the lever didn’t have a "spring" time of mechanism were the lever goes back to normal stop position, instead it permanently stays on the angle until I pull / push it back to stop. I got scolded by the Filipino chief mate , saying that I pull the lever too hard , and that I'm going to get the two other O.S. killed.

I was never bothered on his scolding maybe because probably I'm not staying in TCC principal for long and obviously will be just hanging out with them only for this contract., I don’t want to get too involved in this kind of environment and just wanted to be just in the "professional level only".

During cargo operations , I found out from the A.B. that there will be two loading area's for this ship before it goes back to kwinana, Perth Australia. This ship will only stay for about roughly a day and then head off again somewhere in Malaysia. I also did learn about what "dry checking" means , which apparently I have never see during my days working in "EAGLE BOSTON" ship. Basically "dry checking" is very similar to "Ballast sounding" task. The only difference is that instead of using a sounding tape to measure the level, he there is a specific device used for it and both just simple determine the level of liquid left inside a container space.

In other matters Aside from the usual routine work - Weather here in Malaysia is absolutely hot and humid, and very uncomfortable for me. I had to take extra precautions to avoid dehydration and cool myself often. Anyway I'm already full aware that south east Asia region (far east ) is always in hot tropical weather, and this will always be a problem for me until I finish my contract in April 2019.

In other news …

Since I'm one of the new guys here on this company , I can't help but notice that people here have started pushing me around. From the Indian captain, who hates me using the elevator and thinks he owns the damn thing , all the way to my fellow O.S. who complains that I make too much noise inside my cabin . These things are really starting to annoy me right now., Aside from that there are also numerous annoyances from other people here telling me to do this and do that kind of stuff when it comes to work,.

Frankly I don’t need there lectures , and I'm old enough to do things my way.

I guess it's one of the bad cultures on working in a ship. The new guy always gets bullied by the old folks.

In other matters…..

The recent cabin inspection (which is weekly here) was dismaying for me., turns out that cabin inspection is not to inspect , but search the whole persons cabin. Never occurred to me that this will be the case and they searched what inside of my drawers and cabinets. Resulting to the discovery of my stash of coveralls and some emergency equipment I had been hiding away in plain sight. Apparently in this company , hiding my equipment inside the cabinet is not enough and that they do search the whole cabin like a police. I'm not exactly sure about this but , I think some privacy is being violated here ., The main goal of cabin inspection is to looks for compliance with sanitation and safety - not to search for a person's belongings ,

Even my possession of instrically safe head light for the safety helmet is being questioned when they found out I do possess one (actually two). Plus the safety helmet that I got on my luggage was being questioned as well.  

I don’t even think it's even legal in any way that this Indian captain is searching personal belongings , even if he uses the ruse the word "safety" just to get away with it.

Anyway what should I expect from Indian's right ? Certainly these vermin are one of the worst things to infest the maritime industry. Once they get inside a company. Expect that they are nothing but trouble and disaster for a Filipino seafarer. Their very primitive in thinking and certainly backwards in almost every aspect. I advise that if a Filipino sailor detects the presence of Indians onboard a company, it best he should not proceed in continuing the job offer., and look elsewhere on a company that has no Indian presence around.

Otherwise he will be dealing with a type of people who are arrogant, interfering with other people's business, and basically a snitch (tsimoso at sumbungero)  

On my end of the situation , I shouldn't be complacent that putting my stuff inside those cabinets will ease my mind that things will be safe from there, knowing that cabin inspection here are not cabin inspections at all but cabin searches.

For now I will be thinking of ways on how to counter this kind of tactic.

On the wake of the recent cabin search, I successfully thrown overboard most of the coveralls that was discovered , however despite doing what they said, I didn’t comply fully and kept some of my coveralls not on the cabin cabinets but inside my luggage. On there most of my "reserve working equipment" will be safe there, unless they really wanted to go over the top and violate a person's privacy rights, and from now on any working equipment on my cabin will be stored inside that luggage.

Its fortunate that I brought along a second check in luggage from start as this will serve now as a "portable locker" for me for the time being. Absolutely no equipment of clothes or any kind on cabinets, to avoid any kind of suspicion on cabin searches.

Anyway if there is one thing good that is brought about on cabin searches is that at least complains from my pesky co-workers (O.S. "ELI" )about cabin noise would stop since I won't be using the cabinets for good on this contract.

Funny that they make cabin cabinets and yet, the indian captain forbids crew from using them as storage and even conduct searches on personal belongings. Hypocrite Indians ! , I'd be better off with Europeans than this kind of people. In fact Europeans hate them , Australians hate them (during my land base work several years back) , and Filipino's even find them repulsive as well. In Russian managed ship , they rarely conduct cabin searches let alone on cabin inspections.

I had only been roughly three weeks here and things are really starting to go sour because of this Indians, I'm already starting to think that this is ship (and company) is another "Shell-Perfectionist- wannabe" , although on a lesser extent when it comes to brutality . Definitely it's going to be a very long contract from here on for me.

Whatever the case, I told myself that I'd be professional this time - I won't speak publicly about this and will just simply keep quiet and request for a transfer at the OSM office after this contract. Whether or not they grant my transfer is fine., I'd play along on their game until I get a U.S. visa. , then after that I'd ditch them.

My Primary objective here is stay until a second contract just to erase the bad rep on my working credentials. Whether or not there is a U.S. Visa. What I'm certain is that TCC is no longer on my list., another principal will be replacing this soon after this contract.

Over all TCC is another "dead" place, and barely even habitable or desirable for a seafarer. Just finish my contract and be professional…..